It is widely recognised that homework makes an important contribution to pupils’ progress. At Dedworth Middle School we feel that work completed at home is an essential part of school life that is important for all. Homework should help consolidate work taught and completed in class and then further extend and challenge to ensure that teaching time is used to maximum effect.
Homework also prepares pupils gradually for the more independent demands of study as they mature. Equally, we believe it is important that all pupils have time in their day to ‘play’ and spend time participating in extra-curricular activities. For this reason, our homework gradually increases from Year 5 to Year 8.
We set homework for the following reasons:
- It encourages pupils to develop the skills, confidence, and self-motivation needed to study effectively on their own.
- It consolidates and reinforces knowledge and skills being developed at school.
- It extends school learning (for example, through additional reading).
- It maintains the involvement of parents in the management of pupils’ learning.
- It helps pupils to develop their time-management and organisational skills.